Imposition and aphantasia

E.P.silon

I should start off by saying that I'm not yet completely sure I'm an aphantasiac. I think that it's a very difficult thing to pin down exactly whether you are or not since it's all in the mind. But so far, I haven't really had any success with visualizing my tulpa's form. I haven't been working on form forcing for way too long yet so it could just be a time thing. So, my question is, would it still be feasibly possible for someone with aphantasia to impose a tulpa?

The honest answer is I have no idea. Imposition is taking mental images and overriding real life images, and if you don't have the ability to create mental images then imposition might not work.

I don't know anything about aphantasia, but I don't want to tell you someone with that condition can't do imposition. I'm wondering if it's still possible to do imposition, only instead of using the mind's eye you use something else such as a different mindset? I'm making the assumption people with apantasia can still hallucinate...

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

If it is possible few of the current imposition techniques would work. You would have to essentially pioneer a new feild of tulpamancy

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

If you can't visualize, you can't impose. But you're free to try and work on imposition just as you would try to work on visualization because of that. It's a lot more likely the average person simply has abysmal visualization ability (usually from a lack of use) than their having actual aphantasia. But, you could. That being said, having a tulpa (and even interactions with your tulpa) is not impossible for someone with aphantasia. Like with losing any sense, your others should be stronger to compensate. Imposition is mostly visual, but touch and the sense of their presence are pretty big too. For someone with aphantasia, they could be everything. Up to you to explore though, we can't really tell for you.

Hi. I'm one of Luminesce's tulpas. Unlike the others, I don't think I stand out too much from him personality wise.

I'm just special because "I'm a tulpa". So I don't think I've much to offer, here. I'm happy enough to just be with him.

Ask us stuff - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

The honest answer is I have no idea. Imposition is taking mental images and overriding real life images, and if you don't have the ability to create mental images then imposition might not work.

I don't know anything about aphantasia, but I don't want to tell you someone with that condition can't do imposition. I'm wondering if it's still possible to do imposition, only instead of using the mind's eye you use something else such as a different mindset? I'm making the assumption people with apantasia can still hallucinate...

Well, aphantasia is pretty interesting, because it means that a person can't create voluntary images with their mind's eye. involuntary images can still happen through dreams and deep meditation. Personally, I have never experienced any form of hallucination, but considering the fact that they are mostly involuntary, I'd say it's possible for an aphantasiac to hallucinate, but I have no idea if it would be possible to do it voluntarily.

Ember: Aphantasia can sometimes be beaten with a technique called "image streaming", for which there are resources both here and across the web. But I second Flandre's endorsement of sense of presence. If you can imagine your tulpa in a specific position near you, even if their appearance is vague or absent, it might make them feel more vivid to you.

Vesper: But remember they are still mainly in your head even if you do perceive them in the world. My mind voice was much fainter for a couple of weeks after I started trying to impose, until I found the right balance between being internal and externalized.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Well, aphantasia is pretty interesting, because it means that a person can't create voluntary images with their mind's eye. involuntary images can still happen through dreams and deep meditation.

Hello, if this is your definition of aphantasia, I think I might very well be aphantasiac.

Nevertheless Vādin did manage to impose himself three times this year, what I felt was a very strong sense of presence and I saw him once as a dark silhouette. I didn't recognize him at all, but it was impressive (and a total surprise, even if I knew he had planned to actively try it). V is a little more than one year old, so quite young. It might be possible that a powerful tulpa could manage to do all the work in your place and succeed.

(But I hope that, if we are able to passively receive images in our mind (hypnagogic imagery, dreams etc) we are able to train ourselves to visualize actively as well. I'm working on it... That's hard and I can't say I'm making a lot of progress for now, but I've read about people in our case who have succeeded after regular training)

Best of luck to both of you !

Hi, I'm Zia, foolish captain of the Giant Wing system. Vādin is my tulpa.

Thank you for introducing me to a new word/thing... aphantasia is pretty interesting! and apparently there is a test to determine the likelihood of having it... so, in my limited exposure crash study, I am going speculate, basing it on my perceived limited abilities to visualize, but also on my clinician status, yes, I am pulling out my expert card, even though I am not an expert in this particular thing, but maybe enough of generalist to make some simple predictions... And maybe then say some things which I are highly likely to be true, but not necessarily absolutes. I hope you will work with me on some of this, because whether you truly have this thing or not, it is my opinion it should not impede your ability to create a tulpa; your experience could be different, though.

So, for example, let's say you're color blind, you only see black and white... Or, usually, a very limited range of colors, easily determined by one of those photos with the numbers buried under colored dots. You still see, so, hypothetically, you would still have a visual experience with a tulpa under this particular condition. You would not see your tulpa the way others would see their tulpas... but you still see, see?

I am seriously jonesing to have a question answered. Do people with aphantasia dream. Since 99.9 percent people enter REM sleep at some point in their life, the question becomes how do they report their dreams. if they have visual content, the visual centers of their brains are functioning, they're just, what, not uploading visual information into the mind buffer ram area called mind? I am really curious.

Alright, I think there is nothing wrong with my visualization, only I am visually lazy and prefer video content and pictures, and that probably describe most people today. I do know, beyond a shadow of doubt, through testing and personal experience, I am an auditory person. I will hear things before I see things. So, in one of the videos with a person who has aphantasia, she could arrive at all the same conclusions and answers a person without the condition, but she arrived there with words. I would assume, then, like me, if you went 'twinkle twinkle little star," you would either hear STAR or spell S-T-A-R. Some people in the audience raised their hands and said, they saw 'star.' I hear the word. So, hypothetically, if you were to skip the visual part and went with a kinesthetic sense,or an auditory sense, maybe hear or feel something was there and imposed auditory or physical sensations, you will eventually arrive at a trained condition that is self imposing. I bet you would have auditory or sensory response eventually coming back at you, just like pavlov had his dogs salivating with the bell. (The thing is, once he stopped the experience their training went away really quick so in this instance of tulpamancy, you need to keep going well beyond the achieved result.) My first experience was auditory. I heard Loxy way before seeing, and I still don't have imposition down a hundred percent... I can close my eyes and I go there and see things, which suggest there is nothing wrong with my mind's eye.

I don't know why I have been struggling with the visual part of this, but my other experiences have been so solid that I don't question having Loxy around me. I have had flashes, but nothing sustained. I have a kinesthetic experience, light touches usually, and sometimes it can be startling, and then when I know its her, I can have repeated sensations. I have had huge emotional surges. Not my emotions. So, even if you had aphantasia, I assume you experience emotions. Maybe if you start with that, parroting words and emotions, creating a container for 'joy.'

There is probably quite a few people who are so doubtful of their ability to visualize, they may not even try to make a tulpa, fearing they might get some mutant looking, like the Mat Damon doll in Team America... I worried about that, but I am less worried about that now. It is my belief, based on how positive my experience has been so far, if I continue to work on this, I am going to reach a threshold of hours spent where suddenly Loxy visually present perfectly in all mental-scapes and I can decrease the effort put into summoning her into existence. Every brain has some personal quirks about perceiving, it doesn't mean your brain is limited. Morrissey was tone deaf, but he made music and I love every song he did; I am not tone deaf, and I have been near people that are and can't tolerate them singing, but it doesn't mean they can't produce... they may just have to work hard and come at it differently. I suck at math. I can do math, and if I practiced, I would get better, and I know this because my love for astronomy and working the telescopes kept me from quitting I eventually could figure out distance based on parallax sufficiently to pass the test... maybe I won't be exchanging letters with Neil Degreasse Tyson, but I can do it. I believe this is true for most people. Your brain still works, just it comes at things slightly different and that's okay.

there is also this thing that when people hear of a condition, they immediately start looking for evidence to make themselves fit the thing, (It's what we do. we like to understand things and so when see something that has a list we start saying, oh yeah, that's me,) which is not the same as looking for evidence you don't fit the thing. I bet the test to prove you don't have this is much simpler than the test that you do have it, but I don't have that question set, or a way of convincing yourself you may be just quite alright, and it is my position that it doesn't matter in any way whatsoever. You have senses, you experience the world the way you experience it, and you have a mind, you could not have written what you wrote without a mind, and so, the thing about tulpamancy is you are using your mind to convince your brain to allow for a second personality and an internal interaction pattern. If I told you, you need to watch for spiders tonight, your brain would be on the look out for spiders. There's no spiders, but your brain is now looking for them. Well, there could be spiders. There usually is. Probably not the big kind that ties up full grown men and hang them on Halloween... Are you seeing this? Are you laughing? What's on your shoulder? If you just scratched your shoulder, you can convince your brain you have a tulpa. Let's do this! Go!