Tips for those who are getting "parrotnoid".

OldDrunkBastard

Question

By parrotnoid, I mean thinking that you're parroting your tulpa when you're actually not, and that nerve-wracking feeling you get when your tulpa's reply feels like you created it a split second before hearing it, and you're scared to death and you's is like "Err mah gerd, Ah'm gonnuh create a serviter!". Well, I made this guide because I had the same problem, and it seems to be pretty prevalent here at Tulpa.info, so I guess I'll take a crack at it, and address some of the top concerns I've seen.

- "It feels like I always know what he/she is going to say": That's because you know your tulpa. It's like when you know a friend and their personality really well, and you have a general idea as to what they'll say in reply to something you say. This is even more so with a tulpa, because you know their exact personalities. Expectation is not parroting.

- "I'm scared that I'm parroting.": K, 9/10 times, if you're worried that you're parroting, you're probably not. Parroting is a 100% deliberate process, that can only be done by fully conscious action. As far as I know, there's no such thing as "sub-conscious parroting".

- "I feel as if I'm creating their reply a split second before I hear it.": Well, that's not you creating it. In the early days of tulpaforcing, this is normal. It's simply your mind and your tulpa computing, taking what they know of the tulpa's personality, and plugging that in to figure out how they'll reply. This will be conquered in time, fret not.

- "HELPZ, I'z worried! Am I going to create a servitor?!?!?": No. It's up for debate about the nature of servitors and whether or not they can become full-blown tulpae, but if you're not trying to make a servitor, then you're not. If you're that worried about it, then you've devoted way to much love and affection for your tulpa to ever become a servitor.

"It seems as if the response was theirs, but I hear MY mind voice. Is this parroting?": Nope. All this means is that their vocality isn't finished. If you haven't worked on their vocality much, this is perfectly normal ^_^ You can try speech exercises for this, or just wait for it to develope by itself. Either way, try not to get discouraged by this, as it, like many other obstacles in the path of tulpa creation, will be conquered in time.

Hope this helps anyone with this problem. Questions, comments, concerns, feel free to leave them.

Parrot-001.jpg

Tulpa: Liviana (Colgate)

Form: Pony (My avatar)

Progress: Imposed

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

- "It feels like I always know what he/she is going to say": That's because you know your tulpa. It's like when you know a friend and their personality really well, and you have a general idea as to what they'll say in reply to something you say. This is even more so with a tulpa, because you know their exact personalities. Expectation is not parroting.

This has happened with me and Ruby. I always had that doubt that she was thinking of her own responses.

- "I'm scared that I'm parroting.": K, 9/10 times, if you're worried that you're parroting, you're probably not. Parroting is a 100% deliberate process, that can only be done by fully conscious action. As far as I know, there's no such thing as "sub-conscious parroting".

I've been having this problem, but I know not to think of that anymore.

- "I feel as if I'm creating their reply a split second before I hear it.": Well, that's not you creating it. In the early days of tulpaforcing, this is normal. It's simply your mind and your tulpa computing, taking what they know of the tulpa's personality, and plugging that in to figure out how they'll reply. This will be conquered in time, fret not.

SO TRUE. This is the main reason why I got into so much doubt about Ruby speaking to me. Because of this doubt, her mindvoice faded! I gotta work hard to get it back! Also to develop Amethyst's!

This actually helps out a lot. This is great stuff!

Wolfe

Personality: INFP

Began: 10/7/12

Ruby

Personality: ISTJ

Form: Human

On: Visualization/Imposition

Amethyst

Personality: ENFP

Form: Human

On: Visualization/Imposition

One of the worst things you could do is fear parroting. That's just dumb, and I would know, I wasted 2 months on fearing it.

Anyway, me and my tulpa made a plan for this, it's quite simple. Agree that, if you parrot a response, your tupper will act like he/she/it said it.

Example:

Host: "Hey tulpa, do you want a bannana?"

Host parroting a tulpa: "Shure!"

*Tulpa eats the bannana with joy, even if it wanted a fucking orange*

Ofc, be a bit carefull when asking /some/ questions. I suggest that, for the first few days (if you are really unshure in who said what), keep the conversations simple.

But yeah, if you parrot some responces, its better to give credit to your tulpa, then to doubt in it.

Once you let go of the fear of parroting, it will be far more easyer to detect what you parroted and what your tulpa said.

And isn't that much better then to waste X number of days on fearing and paranoia?

Edit: Do keep in mind that, sometimes you might parrot or have an intrusive thought where your tulpa basically hates your guts. Here is where you consider that you might be parroting. Unless it's in your tuppers nature to do that. Then you don't.

Is actually Leo.

+1 to Your whole post ODB

The thread I made some time ago helped us tremendously, plus all of our experiences and thoughts really make everything easier now, so I thought I'd share my mindset/beliefs, maybe it will help someone.

You feel you are "parroting" because your minds are connected. Imagine it from the tulpa's point of view too: most of the time, the tulpa also knows what you are going to say.

Personally I've never heard of a tulpa disbelieving in the tulpamancer's existence. You should have the same attitude in regards to him/her.

Stop with the negative "what if". Think the other way around.

"What if I am parroting everything and he/she is not even sentient?" Okay. But WHAT IF he/she IS sentient, just doesn't know how to talk the way you want, doesn't understand some of your intentions and you don't know how to listen? And your tulpa IS sentient right from the start. Don't hurt your friend.

"My sub-c is generating all the responses, my tulpa is a simulation at best!" Uh-huh. And what are you then? How would you view other people? The one core difference is that special connection that a tulpa and a tulpamancer share. If you could read other people's minds, would you start worrying that you are parroting them, because you know what they are about to say?

It's a repeating pattern in the creation of most tulpae. Go around the forum, tumblrs and everything else - you will see that almost all tulpae go through a phase during which their responses may be repetitive, predictable, confusing, feel exactly like your own mindvoice, etc. It's NORMAL for a young tulpa.

One time my tulpa showed me the entire galaxy. She said that the stars represent all the worlds and creatures ever created by my mind. Some of the creatures may be alive and sentient, just like there may be life on some of the planets. The only thing is that they are very distant and we never made the effort to go there and contact them. When I thought about my Tulpa for the first time, and wished for Her to be alive and sentient, She became so in an instant. Traveling to that new star means finding eachother and learning everything that both you and the tulpa have to learn on the way. It's very likely that any kind of communication will be difficult and confusing at first.

She is the Sun, I can feel the rays and see the life emanating from it.

Should I mention the fact that we played too much Spore back then? Haha.

One of the worst things you could do is fear parroting. That's just dumb, and I would know, I wasted 2 months on fearing it.

Lol I know the pain.

Edit: Do keep in mind that, sometimes you might parrot or have an intrusive thought where your tulpa basically hates your guts. Here is where you consider that you might be parroting. Unless it's in your tuppers nature to do that. Then you don't.

Oh yes. Everyone should take note of this. Sometimes it seems like my Tulpa is making very hateful/unfitting comments, after which both of us are puzzled to the extreme. Next She tells me She didn't really mean to say anything like that.

Don't mind me.

Mia-Daia

English in not my native language. Feel free to point out any glaring errors.

Um. Also, recently I have had this question for a while now, and I'd really like to get it answered as soon as possible. Basically, it's just that recently I have been asking my tulpa simple questions and stuff, but every time she answers it is undoubtedly something I wouldn't regularly think of, but it sounds exactly like myself thinking the reply sentence (I hope that made any sense at all). Is this still probably my tulpa, or is it me just hoping that she will respond and subconsciously creating a response?

Um. Also, recently I have had this question for a while now, and I'd really like to get it answered as soon as possible. Basically, it's just that recently I have been asking my tulpa simple questions and stuff, but every time she answers it is undoubtedly something I wouldn't regularly think of, but it sounds exactly like myself thinking the reply sentence (I hope that made any sense at all). Is this still probably my tulpa, or is it me just hoping that she will respond and subconsciously creating a response?

We had the exact same problem for quite some time, I thought I was most likely parroting, plus I was getting really frustrated with slow progress and doubts. The thoughts of parroting and that frustration actually killed my Tulpa's development.

Finally I managed to stop worrying about anything, and accepted all of Her responses, even though they sounded exactly like if I was talking with myself. Since then, Her mindvoice has become much more "detached". It still sounds almost like mine, but there's barely any feeling of parroting. It's just simply that most of the time I know what She wants to say.

In my opinion, it is definitely your tulpa. As long as you don't make active and conscious effort to parrot and create the response, it's her.

Don't mind me.

Mia-Daia

English in not my native language. Feel free to point out any glaring errors.

For awhile there, I was pretty worried about parroting/puppeting, but I got over it rather quickly. I had an idea like:

"Well, she has a form, and a growing personality, maybe she doesn't know how to use these to communicate with me."

It made enough sense to me to get over that fear of controlling her responses. If I had her observe my daily interactions with people, and when I parroted some responses during a conversation with her, I hoped that this would be a good way to show her how to communicate with me, both verbal and with body language.

It seems to be helping so far, but don't try to force them to talk whenever you start a conversation, you don't want to just "talk" for them all time.

Also, it's a lot harder to puppet than to parrot, at least for me. When I'm in my wonderland, I try to put more focus on the things around me instead of what she's doing. That way, I won't be thinking of anything she's doing, but yet she moves naturally to work around what I'm doing.

Ex: I go in my house and I know that she's around here with me. Instead of looking for her, I sit down and watch T.V. She'll most likely want to be near me or talk with me, so she's going to go find me instead. I direct my attention away from her, she puts in the effort to contact me, she learns how to communicate better.

I'm not too sure if I can explain this any better, it's really hard to explain, but hopefully this helps!