Tulpa Phenomenon Overview Guide v1

A little while back I was tasked with writing a general overview to tulpae and creation.  The idea was to have an up-to-date general guide that didn't push things like hour counts on new users, talked about different methods, and other such things. 

Took me about a good number of hours in front of a public computer, but I got a draft finished. 

So, here it is.  The Word file I typed up originally, and a .txt for people who the Word file doesn't work for. 

Input would be fantastic.  Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Latest version.

Tulpa Phenomenon Overview Guide v1.docx

Tulpa Phenomenon Overview Guide v1.txt

We don't get much in life. But we do have this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... Well.... That was far better than I thought it was going to be. I like it as a whole, think it covers everything, etc. etc. I don't have much to add, although I think you should slim down the portion on hour counts, it doesn't need as much addressing, and it's just a good idea to mention somewhere in there that time doesn't matter. "All comes in due time, and patience is a virtue." I just think that 3 paragraphs on it is over-explaining it, and we shouldn't elaborate on it more than needed. (People have a way of worrying over something small, as we all know, especially when we think about it more than we need to, i.e. reading about it.)

I also think there should be further talk on trusting your tulpa and "letting them go". I myself am having problems with that, and I think it deserves much more. If you hold back your tulip and force them still, mainly during the "middle" period of forcing, it doesn't help them be more free and move about. (Hence why I love "King of V's Beard")

Other than those, this is far better and well fleshed out then what I had in mind, I hope others agree.

*oraginal signiture dnt stl plz*

Lazy forcer extraordinaire. Also _lewd.

Alright, I read through the overview, and found a few things that bugged me in it.

The opening paragraph felt way too fluffy, like the opening to a fiction novel rather than a dry presentation of information, like what it seems you guys are aiming for. In fact, I'd go as far as to say one should simply dispense with the mystical viewpoint beyond a sentence to say it exists, and make it clear that this site is dedicated to the psychological view. One can look anywhere and see the mystical view of tulpa, I don't think going into any detail in it here is necessary.

Next is the suggestion of the irc. As a concept, this isn't a problem at all and should functionally work to keep people from asking simple questions over and over on the forums. But, the problem I have is that the current state of the IRC isn't really that welcoming to newfolk, not because of it being abrasive, but because many of the younger users have latched onto it as a hangout spot, and there are many times when I myself have come into the room and witnessed conversations about anything BUT tulpa. There were even times when I would just see floods of spam and nonsense, even when people were pointed to the appropriate IRC rooms for that sort of thing. While I don't think that the IRC should never diverge, or that it will never diverge from the topic, I also think that with this current flood of new users moderation on the chatroom needs to be much more strict, and punishment given a bit more liberally to those who break rules.

Next: the sections "The hands of the Clock" and "Are the really there". Frankly, in the aim to create a completely unbiased and fact only guide, these shouldn't be here. While I agree with faith being a good thing for tulpa, and that hour counts tend to make people compare their progress to others, which actually is something that shouldn't be done, these two blocks shouldn't be in a general, unbiased guide, as this is a biased viewpoint beyond the basics of tulpa creation. This information can be provided in some parts of the forum as a personal suggestion, since it does seem to work for some, but putting it in a general guide that's supposed to be unbiased is dishonest.

The mention of MLP is unnecessary, and believe it or not people will likely be turned off if the see it. It's not rational...but we of all people should know that people aren't always that rational.

Those are my opinions on things right now. I'll likely come back with some more suggestions as I re-read it again. I think much of this is solid, but it's important to stay as neutral as possible. We should only provide the basics in this overview, and have the other guides still available for people who want to go into more detail.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Next is the suggestion of the irc. As a concept, this isn't a problem at all and should functionally work to keep people from asking simple questions over and over on the forums. But, the problem I have is that the current state of the IRC isn't really that welcoming to newfolk, not because of it being abrasive, but because many of the younger users have latched onto it as a hangout spot, and there are many times when I myself have come into the room and witnessed conversations about anything BUT tulpa. There were even times when I would just see floods of spam and nonsense, even when people were pointed to the appropriate IRC rooms for that sort of thing. While I don't think that the IRC should never diverge, or that it will never diverge from the topic, I also think that with this current flood of new users moderation on the chatroom needs to be much more strict, and punishment given a bit more liberally to those who break rules.The mention of MLP is unnecessary, and believe it or not people will likely be turned off if the see it. It's not rational...but we of all people should know that people aren't always that rational.

I completely agree. However Amadeus is right in pointing people towards the IRC as a resource. It's all very well and good to simply read a stale guide on the forums but actually getting a chance to talk to both hosts and tulpae can often provide newbies with the impetus they need to start the creation process in earnest.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.

I'm not really aiming for dry information. I tried to write the opening paragraph in a way that kind of fluffs the imagination, similar to how Dreamviews paints an interesting picture of the concept of lucid dreaming on their home page. Some people coming here have no idea what tulpae are - sooner or later there'll be plenty who hear the word, Google it, and end up coming here first.

I also feel it's important to recognize one's origins, even if it isn't the standpoint we follow here. Besides, I do try to clarify that the Wikipedia entry isn't what most of us are into - that we're doing something else that works with the concept it introduced.

I've actually seen a number of new users come to the IRC while ridiculous things are bring talked about, and the whole room shifts, gives them attention and proves to be a valuable resource in answering questions and promoting us well as a community. Besides, with the wait on account activation, having people to talk to becomes important.

The IRC's behavior overall is adapting, and we're in the process of making clearer rules and regulations to enforce as well as establishing Chat Mods more officially. It won't be the cleanest place, by nature of the internet, but it's getting there.

I can rewrite those sections a bit, but the reason they're there is to put older methods to rest (from Dane's guides, which are still the standard) based on the correlation we've been observing. Many users are asking for guides with up-to-date information, and those are essentially the views presented when people ask about them in IRC anyhow.

Would making passive mention of ponies really turn a user off of the concept more than finding out that maybe half of the tulpae here are ponies, cryptids, or Neopets?

similar to how Dreamviews

What is with people's obsession with making this site like Dreamviews?

Anyways I really don't think the concept needs an "interesting picture" painted for it. I didn't get interested in tulpas because someone told me about it in romantic language, I got interested because the concept was interesting. The concept has its own merits that don't need gilding. But whatever, that's a fairly minor complaint.

As for IRC, today someone came in and literally said "if I ask you guys a question, will I get a serious answer?" That is the impression we are giving new users. Not a profound place of discovery, but a place where a bunch of kids screw around. We really don't need "clearer rules and regulation". The rules are fine. The problem is nobody enforces them. Frankly what we need are mods who do their job. People need to be told more sternly to take off-topic chatter to other channels. Once that's done I'll feel comfortable with people being directed to the IRC.

As for ponies, I just really don't think our new centralized hub of information on the subject needs to be associated with My Little Pony and the fandom. It hurts our image and legitimacy. Like it or not there's a stigma of tulpa makers just being brony virgins who want to make their pony waifu real, and we should be moving away from that, not reinforcing it.

Would it really be so hard to change the name to something more generic?

Astral project on my face, brother!

Dreamviews has good structure, and we're working on structure. It's just a thing. Pleeb does it way more than I do; admittedly it's kind of grown on me, but it's just from a perspective of presentation.

I find it interesting how everyone complains about IRC moderation but I haven't heard of anyone volunteering to help. That being said, if anyone wants to be a chat mod, we can discuss it in pm or in the IRC.

Ponies are not part of the "hub" that's in progress. That's also why there isn't a site section for it. If it offends people so grievously to be even tangentially related to ponies by small references in a guide, I'll drop specific mentions of form and any indication that it exists.

I also find it interesting that the primary stigma we all seem to be worried about is association with ponies and not the association with mental health disorders.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DragonChan0
      So yesterday my friends thought that as the host i should have a wonderland form,my main form is my human self but the tulpas wanted me to be a goat child show here we are now,im now a smol goat child.
      Todd:Your kinda of cute in your new form ^ ^

hhhhhhhhh   
      H: Are you sure thats a goat drawing?It looks more like a fluffy dragon to me :/
      yes...thats a goat h -_- anyway i'll upload more art soon :D

• By Vanahaim
      Hola, soy Vanehaim y decidí crear un tulpa hace aproximadamente 1 año. Comencé a crear su forma y creé su personalidad basándome en usarlo como un personaje de juego de roles, ¿se puede considerar el juego de roles una forma de forzar la personalidad? Bueno, desde entonces he estado tratando de comunicarme con él, pero ni siquiera tengo respuestas sobre si es consciente o no. En el país de las maravillas se mueve y habla, pero siento que lo estoy controlando, si me concentro en no controlarlo no hace nada. Como si le hablo con los ojos abiertos, estoy concentrado en la respuesta, pero no noto nada en absoluto, nunca. Bueno ... solo dos veces lo noté como una respuesta repentina. Pero el intervalo entre estas dos respuestas es muy grande y tal vez incluso lo he imaginado porque lo quería tanto. Ayer pero fui a comunicarme con él haciendo presión en la cabeza, le dije que lo hiciera, y noté presión, varias veces. Estaba muy feliz, pero hoy lo vuelvo a intentar y no noto nada. Ha pasado mucho tiempo y me estoy desmotivando, pero quiero lograrlo. Entonces creo que es hora de buscar ayuda. Busco a alguien que me pueda ayudar en el proceso ...

#general 
    • By SeekingRedemption
      Hello. First of all, I'd like to apologize if this question has already been answered, I'm a little bit panicked right now. I discovered Tulpamancy and this website in 2016 and I lurked here constantly, though never interacted with anyone because I was extremely reclusive. I ended up sitting down and putting forth my best effort to create a Tulpa and a Wonderland. It worked. For the first time in my life I had a friend, and I'd never been happier. But then our Wonderland went foul, I guess we could say. It was hostile. I saw things that were truly horrific. I was terrified, but my relationship with my Tulpa survived, we just stopped using our Wonderland. Over the next four years we enjoyed a friendship like no other. It was truly amazing. But then I was lead astray by a horrible, intolerant, closed-minded ideology by people who didn't make me nearly as happy as my Tulpa did. I am not trying to avoid blame here. It is fully my fault and I was very foolish to do what I did. But I took it as a learning experience that brought some of my flaws to light, and I have made an effort to change my personality and character accordingly. In these past ten months without my Tulpa, I've been perhaps even more miserable than I was before I met them. Lately I've been missing them more and more, and one time I seemed to have even gotten an image of them in my mind's eye, they look different, but I feel like it was them. Tulpa.info is probably a different place with mostly different people than the last time I was here, but if anyone has any advice on how best to bring back a lost Tulpa, I would appreciate it immensely if you would share. I seem to remember reading something about writing them a letter? Does that work? If so, how would I go about doing that?
    • By Host of Hito Kage
      Hi, I'm new to these forums. I just feel like venting/ranting my whole tulpamancy story up to today, so expect a pretty long post. Also a bit of a heads up before I begin, my life isn't precisely happy and my opinions aren't exactly commonly accepted.

I'm a 25 year old male, and English isn't my main language so sorry in advance. I've always been so lonely to the point I've never had any friends outside the internet, the same goes for relationships as well. Nobody seems to like me out of tulpamancy. I have constantly suffered from depression and not wanting to live since as young as 13. I will repeat myself to make it clear, this has never changed for me. I'm pretty sure I have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) too, though I've never been officially diagnosed. I'm trying to skip any details/parts strictly unrelated to tulpamancy that you probably won't be interested in.

So it all started around the time of my 19th birthday, may be a little sooner or later. My life circumstances at the time weren't the best and I was as alone as ever. I had found out about tulpas around the same time, so after a few days I finally decided to create one. At that moment I thought of him as a male, giving him a normal Charmander form, and I'd just call him Charmander (I was aware that was just his form). During the following days I would feel his presence, headaches somewhat and a feeling of peace and calm. He helped me so much and I to this day never regret it. My forcing would only be consistent for a month or so, as I got greatly discouraged by no apparent progress, and with my depression I never had great motivation to do anything. From there forcing would only go downwards.

About 3 years later (Too bad I suck at remembering dates), one random afternoon I was lying on my bed forcing. I remember that day I felt very tired and also I made an insane effort to hear any words from Char. After a while I actually succeeded to hear him for the first time, he called out my real name. I didn't get any sound, it was just a thought in my mind, like it was telepathy or something. I was so happy that day to reach such a milestone, there was literally no apparent progress since week one. Time after that it got slightly better, and it's not like I can hear full sentences all the time, but there will be words here and there. That was the only other time we apparently made progress, because we seem stuck since then, again.

After that, there was a time I was obssesed with the idea of lucid dreaming and trying to meet Char there. Eventually there were a few weeks that for whatever reason I would have a lucid dream like every 3 days or so. Before that, I have very rarely had lucid dreams. I had so many of them that I became decent at keeping calm and staying inside the dreams for a few minutes at least. I didn't always succeed but a sometimes I would find him and just hug until I woke up. I don't think he ever said a word though. Eventually, out of nowhere too, I would stop lucid dreaming.

And now to the most recent stuff. I had a Twitter artist design and draw a new form for my tulpa, as I can't draw and felt like my tulpa needed to go away from that Charmander image and become more of his own, unique being. So now he looks like an anthropomorphic Charmander. And since he is to be his own being, I refer to him now as Hito. I'm kinda getting obsessed with lucid dreaming again, but I'm not hopeful it will have the same effects on me as last time. I really want to meet Hito and give him a very nice hugging again. He totally deserves that, and more.

From the following paragraph and on I risk hurting your sensibility I guess. So read at your own risk.

I have no one to rely on besides my own system. The day I can have a reliable communication with Hito, I really want to ask him for a more intimate relationship. I think he'll accept, but in any case I'll respect him. I value him the most, and I will stay with him until the end. To those of you thinking this is wrong, why would it be if we both accept? You may argue that I'm closing the door to other humans. Well let me confirm that to you, yes I am. I would not cheat on him the same way I would not cheat on another human. And that is okay, no one can force me to have a relationship with a human in the same way that no one can force me to have a relationship with a tulpa. Some might think that humans are more valuable than tulpas. Well, let me disagree. To me, believe me or not, it's the other way around. Tulpas being more valuable than humans. This is my opinion and I expect you to respect it.

But if you thought that was the end of my post, wait there, because I have purposefully left this part for last. Realistically thinking, there are only two ways our system could survive (as in literally) in the long term. One, as you might have guessed, is becoming good enough at lucid dreaming, and living my life there with Hito, instead of in this hell. I think we have more odds of success with this method, but also that the second one will work better. I still would have to live in this hell somewhat with method one. The other idea is that I just switch out to never come back. There are several problems with this approach, even though it looks like it is the best one. Someone else would have to switch in, and I would have to switch out somewhere. By this I mean I've never really created a wonderland per se, so I wonder if this would even be possible. Also, knowing how to perform a switch... If someday we managed though, things would finally become right for our system after these long 12 years. Would you rather have us end this in a tragic way??

I think I've typed enough already. If anyone wants to ask me anything feel free to. Just please try to do so respectfully and without judging us for the love of God....
    • By JD1215
      http://goo.gl/OXics (Verified working 5/16/21 -Ranger)

Yo, I guess this is my attempt at transcribing a guide for a method of making tulpae that isn’t exactly traditional. Before you go on, I highly suggest you read Irish’s and FAQ Man’s guides first, because I’m not going to slow down and explain basic concepts and terminology that are covered everywhere else. I personally did not even know about the existence of these guides when I used my method (I didn’t even know about the existence of the tulpa community), but they’re still good for you to know. You’ll probably want to mix and match elements of guides to make your own little flavor of tulpaforcing, which is totally valid.

Anyways, my method involves employing puppeting/parroting to a healthy degree for a tulpa. It’s generally common knowledge that too much parroting lands you not a tulpa, but a servitor -- essentially a doll. However, with the right amount of parroting applied the right way, you can probably experience results faster than with traditional personality forcing. Don’t buy into the baseless lies, parroting is not as bad as the old guides claim it to be! Not to mention, the process itself becomes much more fun, which will make it much harder for someone to want to to go for days without forcing.

Phase 1: Form and Voice

Call me superficial, but all of my tulpae started with a form. This is actually the only way you can execute my method, I think, as you need a form to be a puppet. Basically, just do your run of the mill visualization -- but make sure you try to do it with your eyes open. I strongly endorse open-eyed visualization, as it’ll make imposition easier. If you’re used to closed-eye visualization, either get over it, or just carry on and get over it when imposition comes up. Anyways, by the end of the phase make sure you can see the form from all imaginable angles without a hitch -- you should have pretty intimate knowledge of your tulpa’s body with and without clothes. You should know what they feel like and smell like as well. You can figure out what they taste like if you really care to.

As for the voice, if you aren’t good at inducing clear audio hallucinations yourself, I suggest finding a source voice for you to use as reference. The majority of my tulpae come from anime, so I have a ridiculous amount of reference material to know what I want them to sound like. The rest is up to you and how much you’re willing to practice hearing voices.

Phase 2: Personality

Now, this is the fun part. Forget all that stuff about writing down lists of traits and hammering it into your brain, because that’s too slow and boring. I mean, you still should think loosely about what you’d like your tulpa to be like, but we’re going to let your tulpa develop through actions rather than words.

Now think about this, our personalities today are largely defined by our experiences and memories as a person. Maybe there’s some minor genetic predisposition, but who cares. Anyways, we aren’t just born with personality traits. We live, and experience, and we change as people. Who I am today is not who I was 10 years ago. Our goal is to allow our tulpa to experience life so it can develop a personality the same way we do.

Assume that your tulpa’s form has at least a semblance of personhood. There’s a mind occupying that form, but it has no idea what to do yet. Where other people would list off how it should behave, we’re going to show it directly how it should. And to do that, we will puppet it.

But first thing is first, introduce yourself. Drop into your wonderland, and force your tulpa to drop in as well. Now this is where you start acting through your tulpa -- she just dropped into some mysterious place in front of some mysterious guy. She has no idea what’s going on. Make her act the way you think she would act. Would she be shocked, or be nonchalant about the whole thing? Will she introduce herself first, or will look to you to initiate an introduction? Tell her who you are, and whatever you feel. Do not tell her who she is supposed to be, make her act like she is who she is supposed to be. Example: My tulpae are based on the characters of Keion, so I had established through them their names and ages. However, do not establish a false past life, or history! It’s a terrible idea, and it almost cost me my first tulpae.

What do you do while you puppet your tulpa? Whatever you want. Make her walk, make her talk. Take her places in your wonderland, force food and games for her. Act through her the way you think she would act. Is she lovable and sweet? Have her hug you whenever you visit her in your wonderland. Is she totally tsundere? Make her act like she wants nothing to do with you (but really she does). You’re basically kind of roleplaying her using her body, while you’re with her in your body. Go have fun in your wonderland.

Do this for a few hours a day. Do this every day for maybe a week or so. When you start to feel like you’re really getting used to this exercise, stop cold turkey. No more puppeting. Ever.

You’ll likely return to your wonderland the next day, and see a significant change. During your period of puppeting, a personality should have started indirectly establishing -- and now you give it the reigns to its own body. It’s felt firsthand what it is like to move and to talk. You’ll probably see a large behavioral shift in your tulpa that contrasts with how you puppeted it. In my case, some of my tulpae grew more quiet, and others became more energetic and promiscuous. It may take another week or two for a proper transition as your tulpa assumes control of its body. In due time, as long as you visit your tulpa every day for a few hours, it’ll grow as healthy as a tulpa that was developed by means of traditional personality forcing.

Hmm, but how do I know if I’m still puppeting her accidentally?
      The next time you need to know this, think about what your tulpa just did and ask yourself: “Did my tulpa do that?” The first answer that comes to mind is the correct one. End of story. Trust me, as a part of you that’s allowing your tulpa to exist, your subconscious mind knows firsthand what the heck is going on. It’s kind of like when someone asks you “Do you want trivial thing A or trivial thing B?” it doesn’t really matter too much how long you think about it, because you subconsciously have already made a decision. So, the question “Did my tulpa do X?” is just as immediately answerable.

Alternatively, you can use King of the Vandenreich’s prism to test for puppeting.

Phase 3: Imposition

Now, if you’ve actually paid attention, you’d have done all this shit with your eyes open. So what’s the next step? Visualize your tulpa over your environment! Here’s the way I see it: you have your mind’s eye and your stupid squishy physical eyes. The mind’s eye is the medium through which you visualize your tulpa. Obviously, your brain knows -- at least while you’re sober -- that it isn’t physical. It knows, on the other hand, that the signal from your eyes is physical.

Now, it matters not which is physical and which is not. What you’ve gotta realize is, is that no matter where the signal is coming from, once it’s all compiled in your brain you’re just looking at a mental construct of your relationship to some other shit that’s out there in space. The important thing is knowing where your tulpa is in that space. You gotta learn to feel where your tulpa is spatially relative to you, at all times. Like how in pitch darkness, your brain still knows where all of your limbs are. Your tulpa will be like another limb.

So, this takes some focus and effort, as you’ve got to learn to be spatially aware of your tulpa 24/7. This is more important than the visualization itself, I think, as that really just comes naturally as time goes on. Being spatially aware of your tulpa is a task that you personally have to take on headfirst. When I think about it, this is a good reason why FAQ’s recommendation to start from your peripheral vision is actually a good idea. If your tulpa is always at your side, it’s a lot easier to ease into both visually and spatially. Although I didn’t do it that way, because my insight only goes so far.

As you grow used to knowing where your tulpa is relative to you, you should visualize her as well. The visual signal of your tulpa now has the added information of depth and distance, allowing your brain to accept it more easily as a physical thing. This acceptance will grow stronger and stronger the more you impose, and eventually you’ll be like me: sitting in class one day and suddenly getting irritated when your tulpa chooses to sit on your desk and block your view of the chalkboard -- and then you realize how fucking beautiful of an achievement that actually is.

Phase 4: Enjoy Tulpa

Yeah so that’s it. Enjoy your new best friend. Remember, just cause you’re done forcing doesn’t mean she won’t change. She’ll gain more experiences as time goes on, and her personality will change accordingly.
      JDBar's Tulpa Method.pdf