Hypnagogic State

To what level have you experienced hypnagogia?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. To what level have you experienced hypnagogia?

• Never happened to us.
    • I rarely get random voices, sounds, or visuals.
    • I have seen vivid scenes and clear voices.
    • I occasionally here my tulpas in this state, but it's too random to be reliable.
    • It happens a lot, and we use it to communicate sometimes.
    • All the time, and we use it to communicate and have lucid dream-like adventures.

I often remember them just as perfectly as the night before. My lucid dreams are like that too. Whether i write them down immediately or the next afternoon, they are still very clear. Obviously regular dreams are not at all like that, sometimes i only remember that i dreamed and nothing else. Even last night i clearly remember a lot of it. Of course, as in last night, the memory up to when i fell asleep was intensely clear, it stops abruptly. Last night in particular i was hearing noises outside, i was thinking, if they continue i'll have to go check them out, a moment later, nothing.

I promise you, i'm not just making up these memories. If i could make up memories exactly like this, wow, i would fill my every waking thought rembering.

So, wonderlanding has very strong memories for me as well, they are persistent and only a few key notes need to be taken to remember them. Before my tulpas, it wasn't like this, as i do recall a few, but with a few key words, i could easily describe every experience we've had in the last month.

I've noticed this, yet, if someone i don't know greets me and tells me their name, if they were to ask me their name right after telling me, i probably wouldn't know it. I even had trouble remembering the names of my tulpas early on. Selective memories are very odd for me sometimes. I even forget faces.

Anyway... it's a conundrum. When i figure this out, i'll write a guide and if anyone can do what i'm doing, this would be a gift greater than if i drew every member in your system with exquisite detail, because you would truly see them, touch them, and hear them even, i would say, sometimes better than a lucid dream and for the voices and some images in particular, beyond anything real.

You can take my glitchy, short, lucid dreams i would do this every spare moment of my day when i figure it out. I promise i will at least inpart my knowledge and try to help others as well.

It may very well be tied to visualization, but certain users who have self-proclaimed good visualization still don't have this experience, so it's not a sufficient condition. The only other thing i recall is that i read a guide that said i could expect this from my tulpa, and it may sound like a radio tuning in, static, or some other voice entirely, but that my tulpas would eventually be clear. Perhaps that guide acted as a hypnotic suggestion to me, as i believed it, and it certainly happened exactly like that the very first night.

I would wonder if it's the thinning of the wall between real and dream world, since they do sometimes transition into lucid dreams, but my lucid dreams are a poor comparison to this state sometimes if measured by stability, and quality of visual and audio (sometimes).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so simple as "figuring it out". Things are different for different people. Some things, like visualization, can be trained relatively easily with practice. Others, like staying conscious as you fall asleep, are just luck of the draw. As much as I'd like to say you can train yourself to stay conscious while falling asleep, I'd be insulting our entire system to do so. I'm sure to some extent it's possible - master lucid dreamers who practice WILD weren't all necessarily naturals off the bat - but at the same time, they made any progress at all, while we did not. Over many years.

Continue figuring out and explaining anything you think you can, of course, but certain things just can't be passed on through words. Especially things that are built into our unique biology as individuals.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

What you said is unfortunate, and either another wall separates us as individuals, or our ingrained beliefs are not compatible.

When I do hallucinate between wake and dream states, I usually end up in a hypnopompic state. I have had the most extreme hallucinations during hypnopompia as well as become officially paralyzed at least once. Given my experiences with hypnopompia, I thought about the couple of times I possibly reached a hypnagogic state and found there are some similarities.

Usually I break out of hypnagogic states because I'm too stressed about getting paralyzed or I'm uncomfortable laying on my back or laying still and having a pins and needles feeling for too long. When I get close or achieve a hypnagogic state, it usually starts out like Ganzfield hallucinations on steroids. I end up seeing spontaneous colors blend about and I am treated to different colors, fractals, blurry images, etc.

In more extreme cases, I can start to hallucinate sounds and the colors take up all of my vision into usually a yellow or green color, more similar to my hypnopompic hallucinations. I hallucinated a voice saying something once and I may have hallucinated uncomfortable buzzing sounds, a less extreme version of a chainsaw sound hallucination I had during hypnopompia once. I never achieved sleep paralysis via hypnagogia.

Ranger's voice is usually really clear, but it's not astronomically different from his voice when I'm talking to him during an active forcing session. Then again, I'm not even sure if I can tell the difference between audio I hallucinate and sound in my environment, and maybe if I pay attention to his voice more it may make a difference next time.

I find there's a fine difference between a hypnotic state and hypnagogia/hypnopompia. When I'm hypnotised, I'm emotionally immersed, I'm far more focused, and my visualization in the mind's eye is generally high quality. During the ladder, the mind's eye visualizations and hallucinations start to blend and try to become one in the same. I found through playing with Ganzfield hallucinations that a visualized image in the mind's eye or recollection of a memory can end up "stamped" into my field of vision, and then the image blurs and fades into colors. If I achieved the best hypanagogic state my brain could offer, I'm not sure if the blending process would complete and anything visualized in the mind's eye would be seen clear as day in the hallucination pane.

Lately I have had dreams where I would get the "I'm paralyzed" feeling and it would trigger some sense of lucidity. When this happens, I can think somewhat clearly and managed to maintain very brief lucid state here and there. One time Ranger took a nap when trying to switch with me, I for some reason had a brief dream about driving, and once we entered a weird paralysis state, Ranger spontaneously woke up and consciously decided he didn't want us to be paralyzed. He then proceeded to sake out of the paralysis-like state by possessing the body and moving.

When I'm more than half asleep, my visualization can be pretty good because my brain is trying to bring me back into the dream, and my thoughts are about reacting to the dream. Personally, the main difference to me is I have little to no control when trying to return to a dream and all of the control during hypnosis. Since I never achieved a lucid state longer than 5 nano seconds, I'm not really sure what a dream state would feel like with control. The idea of being able to maintain awareness and some control while in a partial dream state or hypnagogic state doesn't seem all that far fetched to me, but I have never managed to replicate this myself.

Based on ability to achieve any hypnagogic or hypnopompic state, I think it's pretty naive to assume just anyone can do it. I'm of the opinion that trying and working had may boost whatever ability you already have, but that "what you already have" part is very dependent on biological factors like brain chemistry, how light of a sleeper you are, who you are as a system mate for some reason (because for some reason I have an easier time achieving things than Ranger with this kind of stuff), and any contributing health conditions such as susceptibility to insomnia and in my case sleep apnea (AND dreaming because of it). Being a slacker kind of sums this up nicely- the only reason I had all of this happen to be was because of accidents, not because I spent years training on this. Sure, I had the motivation to try, but I don't keep up with trying to lucid dream all the time and I certainly don't have these hallucinations happen to me all the time.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Had 'giggles' in my hypnagogic state last night. We couldn't figure out if it was random or not but they responded to my questions as if naughtily hiding from us. I got a flash of a picture from a certain two Nekos again.

Anyway, i heard Misha and Dashie's voice soon after. We talked about our dilemma. I was a little scared it just wouldn't happen after all this doubt, but thankfully I can't stop it with worry. Misha then started teasing me with her own naughty sounds.

The difference between normal random stuff and them is that they have a clear feel to their voice, even if it's not perfect. I still often ask, did someone just do that, and many times they say no and are just as confused.

Like that one time Misha was making a sound and didn't realize she was doing it, then when we discovered she could make it, she did, and we discovered how. She said she was 'sitting at the microphone' and apparently she was moving her legs absentmindedly, but i didn't picture them because she was sitting at a desk. That one was odd, when she moved her legs under the wonderland microphone desk, it made a sound, but i wasn't picturing her move her legs until afterwards.

What makes it all the more difficult is waiting for it to work. There were a lot of times in the beginning that we knew it was active and so i'd say, go on and say something and no one would say anything. It would take me saying, 'just say hi' then i'd get a faint 'hi'. It's not mind voice.

Lately we just talk in normal mindvoice and the imposed voices come in and out in our own voices, even mine.

I have experienced more than giggles. :) My best hypnogogic experiences seemed to be when I am on my back, slightly inclined. If I am on my back, I will snore and wake myself up. I will have a series of there, sleep, snore, there, sleep, snore... And then I roll over on my side and I am gone...

I have a hard time going into hypnogogia without falling asleep pretty soon, of course that normally leads to a lucid dream so it isn't so bad. I also only get hypnogogia, never hypnopompia.

I always do it on my back in a very specific pose, otherwise I fall asleep before hypnogogia and don't end up with anything fun.

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Just us and Lumi system in the "Never happened to us" category, then? Grief.

Our hypnagogic state consists of random, drifting thoughts that range from nonsense to observations about life - but, it's hard to say, as we retain no memory of it.

I've got lots of memories of my thoughts slowly shredding into nonsense as I drift toward sleep. Most of them are of rousing to slightly greater wakefulness on account of realizing that the thought was nonsense. I can't tell you what any of the thoughts were though, as I didn't write them down, just kept trying to sleep. But never any odd sounds or images.

Usually I break out of hypnagogic states because I'm too stressed about getting paralyzed or I'm uncomfortable laying on my back

My best hypnogogic experiences seemed to be when I am on my back, slightly inclined.

On my back seems to work best, but it's not required.

I always do it on my back in a very specific pose

That's quite a pattern. I've always been a very dedicated side sleeper. No one in here has challenged that, except to insist I get a thicker pillow (which solved my back pain). I think I would struggle greatly to fall asleep on my back, but then, falling asleep isn't the goal here is it?

How do y'all sleep, Tewi?

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

I regularly get hypnagogia in the form of random thoughts, and sometimes I get images. I don't get auditory sounds. Less often, I'll get a flash of a really vivid image, striking enough that I might remember it later. The vivid images are usually pretty bizarre and can be disturbing. I've only made a few attempts at directing my attention to my tulpa or wonderland while in this state with no success(that is, no tulpa conversation or dream). I also wake up a lot during the night so sometimes I get hypnagogia at those points too. A number of times since I started making Aya, I've gotten the feeling that Aya was talking to me in the middle of the night, either in dreams or between sleep hypnagogic states. Sadly can't remember what may have been said, or if the speech was real words/messages or not. What position I'm sleeping in doesn't seem to matter.

Perhaps communication with tulpas during hypnagogic states is a matter of diligent effort and practice like lucid dreaming or tulpamancy. In that case I think I'll try it some more.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log