Switching General Discussion

Apollo Fire

Hey Bear!

On 4/4/2022 at 12:05 AM, Bear said:

sign in mindspace that said something like "no switching without permission". They saw this clearly because my headmates spent most of their time on a couch kind of looking through my eyes and listening to what I hear.

This is helpful insight! We have a similar model, except for instead of a couch it is a chair, and the screen to look through my eyes serves the dual function of being my mind's eye to look inwards with. We've since had to develop a seperate area "inside the eye" for Shade to preform her workings while we're practicing - mayhaps having a constant visualisation of a "no switching" poster here would indeed help! It is entirely unintentional of course (switching is very hard for us otherwise), but it could certainly do the trick. Though our inner object permanance is an etch-a-sketch comparative to your mind-vault, hopefully we can attain a similar level of skill with it eventually.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:05 AM, Bear said:

Ashley would "handle them" and using that method it had to be instant. We called that manual reset.

Failing the reminder, this does seem to be an attainable alternative solution. I do recall reading, and enjoying, your descriptions of different techniques your system has come up with to deal with unique situations - perhaps development of our own manual reset or autoreset is in order, if we can trade instantaneously then Shade wouldn't have to worry about being stuck in the front should something else require our immidiate attention. One time we were interrupted, practicing while Shade was stuck switched in, and it was very awkward hahaha. We'll have to let you know how it goes!

Thanks again, Cheers!

- SnS

Host to a sole Parasite, Shade. Research is in progress, will update when something worth showing has been written.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

One more thing to mention is that we noticed autonomic responses from Body OS where no one fronting or co-fronting could honestly claim the reaction as theirs. If you think of it similarly to sleepwalking or sleep-talking, the body can and will say automated responses even if no one is in front. This caused a lot of confusion as to who was fronting to many systems including us, but thinking of it in this way cleared it up for us right away. Not every thought or action is made by a sapient member of the system, but usually the host identifies with everything "not headmates". That's a mistake in our experience. It's very easy and natural to train the body to do anything including talking, but the bidy doesn't think for itself.

This was made perfectly clear to us when practicing dormancy, especially host dormancy (me). If I'm clearly not there, and something that feels or sounds or acts like me happenes, that's Body OS. We also experimented with keeping me dormant for a week and the fronter (Ashley) was pressured to feel gender dysphoria in a way. In that her orientation started to sync with the body's. It seems at least for this body, attration to women only is hard wired. Masculine traits and urges are also hard wired. 

They also reported "feeling me like a large warm animal" when I was out and the body is clearly that feeling, not "me".

Edited by Bear

We have come to realize the same thing. There are countless times nowadays where neither Dawn or I can claim to be speaking, and same goes for the rest of us. Its actually quite creepy to realize most conversations are completely autonomous and most people will never realize.

Hi, I'm Michael, I'm a tulpamancer interested in diving as deep as I can into this realm of thoughtforms.

I'm Shade, the first tulpa. I'm fairly reserved but love philosophy and psychonautics. 

I'm Dawn, I'm the most active tulpa in the system and also the most fun loving/party girl type. 

In our system there is also Spark and Ember, Cinderella, Astra, Scarlet, Jade, Rarity, Aqua, Ignis, Tony, Majima, and Sarah.

Our progress report and experiments thread

Our memory experimentation thread

Our system website for different projects and posts

3 hours ago, Bear said:

Not every thought or action is made by a sapient member of the system, but usually the host identifies with everything "not headmates". That's a mistake in our experience. It's very easy and natural to train the body to do anything including talking, but the body doesn't think for itself.

Strong agree. In fact, you might even have learned that from us, since it's something we've said so many times.

The number one roadblock in creating a tulpa and in learning switching is the host identifying with every possible process going on in their brain. You're really not. Even outside of tulpamancy context, you're really not. Your body and brain do so much without the "you" that's defined as the part of the brain capable of conscious thought and feeling and all. You can draw a lot of different lines (based on preference) for where "the body" ends and "you" starts, but people probably generally are not comfortable accepting how much of their overall ""them"" is fully automated or otherwise handled without conscious intervention. It's rather unrealistic to think of the body as "you" in most ways other than it being your property that you are attached to. 

You can still consider your entire body just simply "you", but when it comes to matters of identity in thought and feeling, the parts you're actively influencing and fully aware of are significantly less. And those parts can all be traded with a tulpa.

(Note that the conscious part of a person that I'm calling "you" is capable of consciously exerting control over MANY parts of the brain and body at will - when you focus on doing so. Manually overriding the otherwise autopiloted body is the whole job of the conscious part of human brains. But how much of that is really "you" when it keeps doing whatever it wants when you stop paying attention to it?)

Hi. I'm one of Luminesce's tulpas. Unlike the others, I don't think I stand out too much from him personality wise.

I'm just special because "I'm a tulpa". So I don't think I've much to offer, here. I'm happy enough to just be with him.

Ask us stuff - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Very nice. I consider that I'm just another headmate currently in posession and most strongly associated with the body. When I switched out and went dormant, it was remarkable to note what is "body" and what is "me". The me part is finite and lightweight. Just a set of facets, a personality and perspective, just a persona.

Even crazier, that persona is mouldable and conditioned, it can be repaired, reprogrammed and even replaced. In fact, it changes constantly throughout your life. 

• 7 months later...
(edited)

I don't think this is complete or polished but I'm actually a little proud of this and I want to know what you guys think:

image.thumb.png.f12b1ac665bfae2cac7edc23e0281bf6.png

I don't think this is a complete list or anything, but I think in general most people's experiences can be summed up by a combination of these 4 things: The mindset for how fronting works, how headmates share the front, the system's fronting style, and the trigger for how fronting occurs.

"Choose Your Mindset"

Become Personality- the host is the POV and you "become" you tulpas and yourself
Swap Places- hosts and tulpas swap control of the POV (or have their own POVs?)

"Choose Share Settings"

Shared- Two headmates seem to compete with one another. Psudo-parallel or otherwise.
Layered- A headmate is in the "back" or somewhere else while another headmate is controlling the body
Mix- A mix of both approaches

"Choose Your Style"

Restricted- It seems like one headmate seems to always leak through OR the POV can take back control at any time
Sensory- headmates connect themselves to the POV and by extension the body
Wonderland- (Assuming this is real) A headmate (has)/(goes to) a self-sustaining POV or pseudo POV separate from the main POV

"Choose Your Trigger"

Thought/Feeling- Insta switching based on a thought or feeling trigger
Ritual- The thing we do, CAA, or any other ritual that takes more than a second to do 

The basic idea here is you can mix and match these options to roughly describe a lot of people experiences with fronting. For instance, I would describe some of our commonly discussed fronting experiences in these ways:

Our possession: Swap, Layered, Restricted, and Thought/Feeling

Our switching: Swap, Layered, Sensory, Ritual

Our co-fronting "double switched-in" experience: Swap, Mix, Sensory, Ritual
(Mix because we still have out headmates in the back)

Our co-fronting with possession: Swap, Layered, Restricted, Ritual?
(Pretty much possession but ritual because we plan out co-fronting and the sharing experience is not the same as us when we're both switched-in) 

However, despite this, I don't think this is a complete guide. I don't discuss the nuance of fronting via thinking vs thinking in the back, this doesn't talk about merging, and I highly doubt I have covered everyone's experiences, even to an acceptable level of detail.

Discord discussion: https://discord.com/channels/431579755037589505/821731704112152576/1043941870604124221

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator

I like this infographic. I think the one thing I’m confused by is style. I feel like we’ve experienced more than one style at once but maybe I’m confused on the meaning of each. We “connect” to front but there can also be leakages. We’re working on fostering more detailed wonderland/background POVs (whether we already experience them is debated between us) but I can see a scenario in which all three styles are experienced at once: A tulpa has a wonderland POV, then connects to front. As they are connected to front, another tulpa starts to leak through.

It seems how leakages are experienced could be its own category (none, slight mixing, volatile), how one connects to front could be its own category, and how non-front POVs are experienced could be its own category (none, separate from but informed by front, vague/inconsistent confabulation, vivid/consistent parallel processing). The categories I put in parentheses aren’t well thought-out.

Someday

(edited)

That's something I didn't consider. I think having a wonderland style opens the door to a variety of even more interesting experiences, and I didn't consider the possibility of leaking/restrictions being intentionally placed (I'm mostly thinking of unintentional leaking)

It may be fair to say the styles are more like a separate list you tack on. If your experience is a mix of those styles, then you would list 2 or 3 of those styles instead 

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator